Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Running Room Group

Last week I had the pleasure of instructing a group of runners, training for a half-marathon, in the benefits of adding cross-training to their program. We did a 30 minute spin class, 15 minutes of strength training using the TRX, and finished off with some core work.

Everyone in the group arrived early, which was good as we needed it to get everyone comfortable on the bike! As a runner myself, I always find it difficult and almost a nuisance that I have to rely on a piece of equipment in order to get my workout in - I just want to tie my shoes and go! I don't think I am alone in this as most of the runners just hopped on the bike and started to pedal, but quickly realized that adjusting the bike to fit them would make for a much "comfier" ride (if you can use comfy as a describing word for spinning? I might be pushing it there!). After going through the spinning basics, we got right into a high-intensity interval ride that included 30 sec of hard work, 30 sec of rest in seated sprinting, seated climbing, standing and sprinting and standing and climbing for many, many rounds. Whew!

I think the running room culture is a remarkable one. Although an individual sport, the support each member shows for one another in training towards the same goals is so strong. Margaret, the half-marathon coach, was extremely motivating for her runners, and also aided me in instruction, as she has done some training sessions at UTC before. I loved the way the group interacted during the tough ride, with jokes but also inspiration and pushing each other to get through it, now that's a team!

Like I said, as a runner I can relate to how the group was feeling, and it has taken me several spinning classes to get used to the bike, and the way a spinning class works. Even now, and probably forever, I will prefer running over spinning. However, after suffering from overuse injuries, knowing the effect that the constant pounding of running puts through the body and my disdain for running in the snow, spinning has become a weekly occurence and supplemental cardiovascular activity in my half marathon training program.

After spinning, we began a short intro to strength training with the TRX. By adding a small amount of strength training into a half-marathon training program, you build a foundation of core and total body strength, balance and stability. By building strength you minimize chances of injury, improve resistance to fatigue and improve muscular endurance - all leading to being more efficient at endurance activites. Often times runners will skip strength training due to myths of becoming big and bulky. This is why the TRX is such a great tool for runners as you "leverage your own bodyweight and gravity to improve your strength balance, stamina and flexibility all at once" just as you do when you run. Strength training, when performing "runner-appropriate" exercises will help improve running performance!

Thanks for coming in Runners, and I will see you at the Chilly Half on March 4th. Train hard, and train smart!


Sources: http://www.squidoo.com/trx-runner-suspension-training
http://www.richmondchic.com/index.php/mind-body/article/core-strength-training-for-runners/
Alli Cain, B.A.Kin, C.K.
Personal Trainer
http://www.acaintraining.com/
905-806-7198

No comments:

Post a Comment