Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My favourite topic...

Food!

If I'm not in the gym, you can find me in the kitchen. Seriously, you want a sandwich? PLEASE let me make it for you! I love cooking, baking and experimenting with different recipes.

I subscribe to the 80/20 rule, whereby 80% of my meals are healthy - lean proteins, unlimited veggies, lots of water, complex carbs and good fats... and 20% is whatever I want.... banana bread, wine and pizza usually make up this list.

In my experiments with food, I have come across some particular favourites that I always stock up on in the 80% category ;) The 20% stock is usually available by the pizza delivery boy or at the local lcbo haha

Broccoli slaw


I love my broccoli slaw mixed with chicken and then I usually use an olive oil dressing like this:


(why did the tomato blush? he saw the salad dressing... ;))


Chocolate almond milk is another staple that I always blend with my meal replacement shake for breaky or post-workout


Egg whites for breaky or late-night snack... great with mrs.dash!




I would describe my daily nutrition as pretty consistent... these are foods I enjoy eating, that make me feel good and that I don't have any adverse reactions too. While I don't specifically have any food intolerances, I definitely notice a difference when I eat certain things like bread. A couple weeks ago during a 20% rule kind of day I had a chicken schwarma... I swear I thought my stomach was going to fall out...

Now, nutrition is a crazy tricky thing.... there are pros and cons to every food, everyone has different likes and dislikes and some people care more about what they feed themselves than others. As a trainer, I get tons of questions about nutrition and therefore I try to keep current with the literature surrounding different products, recommended daily intakes, intolerances and etc. I see people who will promote only foods NOT to eat, without ever giving alternatives or congratulating someone for making a BETTER choice, even if it's not necessarily the BEST choice.

My stance on nutrition is simple; we take a look at wherever you are on the current spectrum of health and make it better. If that's switching your double big mac to a small burger.... that's a good step! If it's someone focusing on lean proteins and veggies, and eating 5 small meals a day, that's a good step too. Take whatever you're doing and go in a healthier direction and I'm happy! I don't ever want to force MY own lifestyle on you.. I want to provide people with my insight and let them make their decision.

What are some healthier choices you have incorporated into your diet?

No comments:

Post a Comment