Monday, May 21, 2012

Janina's competition prep check-in

For those of you who I am facebook friends with, you may have seen the pictures I have posted of my friend Janina who is currently prepping for her first fitness competition. I've asked her to share her training, nutrition and feelings of the process so far. Have a read below :)
- Alli


So after years of contemplation…I have finally decided to compete in my first fitness competition! I am planning on competing in OPA’s Henderson Thorne Classic; bikini division on July 7th…just under 7 weeks away, yikes! So far my training has consisted of 6 workouts a week, which have included a mixture of strength training, P90X workouts and Insanity workouts. I have had to do a mixture of workout’s because of my hectic school schedule and because I like to keep things interesting. I also try to play basketball at least once or twice a week. In terms of my nutrition plan I eat about 6-7 small meals a day with about 2-3 hours in between depending on my schedule. I have egg whites mixed with vegetables, chicken, lean turkey, salad’s etc. I try to experiment with different recipes as much as possible. I also have 2 ‘Body by Vi’ shakes each day, one for breakfast and one after my work out. These shakes have been awesome for me. They take care of 2 of my meals and taste delicious which really helps me stay on track with my nutrition because unfortunately I have a HUGE sweet tooth and these shakes help satisfy that which is awesome! I have been using the shakes now for about 45 days and have definitely noticed a difference in my energy levels, yay!

My exercise and nutrition regimen are quite strict, however I did not go into my fitness competition training ‘cold turkey’ so to speak. I have been working out 6 days a week since August where before that I was doing 4 days a week. I also cut out dairy and bread from my diet since this past December. So, when the idea of competing in a ‘Fitness Competition’ was brought to my attention once more I felt that I was already in the right mindset to train. This type of training is not for everyone. I wake up on numerous days of the week at 4:30 AM to train because I have long days at school and won’t be able to train later or I know I will be to exhausted to train. I go to the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College to become a Doctor of Chiropractic (in 3 longggg years, almost done year 1! :) and some days I am at school for 10 hours and then I commute. So I get my work outs in first thing that way I have no excuse for missed work outs, and call me crazy but I prefer early morning work outs! Eating healthy also takes a lot of preparation. I try to cook every 3 days and prepare my meals for the next day so that I do not get off track. Some days I bring 3-4 meals to school! Once again the Vi shakes have been a lifesaver because they are a quick, nutritious meal! With my nutrition I think the toughest times to stay on track are ‘social gatherings.’ It is tough to find nutritious meals at restaurants so I usually stick to a salad because I know its safe, or at least I hope it is! What is even tougher is watching my friends eat things that I can’t have. However that being said, its tolerable and my goals are more important to me then getting off track. Will power and determination is key!

I am still learning though. Now that I am finally training for a fitness competition I learn new tips every day on how to adequately train. So far what I have mentioned above has worked for me. I have lost 5 lbs and 2.5 inches in my first month and this was not even my goal (can’t say that I am complaining though!). I don’t think I will lose any more weight or inches but it was definitely nice to see an objective change. Since this is my first competition, yes I do hope to place but I will not be completely disappointed if I don’t. How could I be? I am proud of myself for even pursuing this health fitness goal and I have learned so much in the process and I know I will learn so much more once its finished, which is more then I can ask for. I am doing my best to prepare by sticking to my exercise and nutrition regimen and will be having posing lessons with IFBB Canadian Pro Fitness Champion Mindi O’Brien.

So far I have loved my experience with my training both with the exercise and the nutrition because like I said it is not a huge difference from what I was doing before except for the incorporation of the Vi shakes. I feel great and I see positive changes to my body. I am extremely excited to compete and am thankful to my friends and family who have supported me. This may be my first fitness competition…but it won’t be my last!! Wish me luck!

--Janina Duliunas, Bkin
www.janinaduliunas.bodybyvi.com

I have been taking some pictures to track my progress…take a look!





Here is my baseline photo taken exactly 12 weeks prior to my competition on July 7th.

Measurements: Shoulders- 39’, Chest- 33.5’, Waist- 29’, Hips- 39’

Weight: 136 lbs




Here is a photo taken at 4 weeks.

Measurements: Shoulders: 39’, Chest: 32.5’, Hips: 38’, Waist: 28.5’

Weight: 131 lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment