Sunday, June 3, 2012

Sunday Funday

EXAMS ARE OVER!!
Two weeks of nothing but cramming, anxiety and high blood pressure and I now have 0 responsibility, with the exception of getting myself to the gym and getting on a flight to Rome in a couple of weeks! HALLELUJAH!

This summer I am going to focus on adding a niche area to ACAINtraining. I've come to find that I really enjoy helping adults with no fitness or nutrition background discover how to incorporate it into a new lifestyle, and watching the transformation occur. It is inspiring that even at 50, 60, and 70 years of age, people can make marked improvements in their physical activity and nutrition, and improve their quality of life.

Another summer focus of mine will be getting back into a super strict training routine. I managed to keep up my fitness over the school year, actually much better than I expected, because I made the time for running, spinning and boot camp style workouts. This summer, I plan to do a 12 week hypertrophy-power-endurance program alongside a 12 week running program. Definitely going to aim for a half in the fall (scotiabank). These new kicks need to experience their first race!



I love love love to bake! My biggest endeavour on this Sunday Funday was to bake Chocolate Chip Banana Bread. This doesn't totally fit with my normal nutrition plan (they aren't gluten-free, and they do use brown sugar) but a treat every now is then is great! I opt to use ingredients that make this a healthier option than regular banana bread, though.



Recipe

Note: This is a muffin recipe, but I opted to make one big banana bread loaf, it turns out just as good! I also used 2 scoops of protein powder (Body By Vi Sweet Creme flavour) and just 3/4 cup of spelt flour in lieu of the whole wheat flour


1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
•3/4 cup Flaxseed Meal
•3/4 cup Oat Bran Cereal
•1 cup Brown Sugar
•2 tsp Baking Soda
•1 tsp Baking Powder
•1/2 tsp Salt
•2 tsp Cinnamon
•1-1/2 cups finely shredded Carrots
•2 peeled and shredded Apples
•1/2 cup Raisins (optional)
•1 cup chopped Nuts
•3/4 cup Milk
•2 beaten Eggs
•1 tsp Vanilla


Step 1
Mix together flour, Bob\'s Red Mill Flaxseed Meal, oat bran, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.

Step 2
Stir in carrots, apples, raisins (if desired) and nuts. Combine milk, beaten eggs and vanilla. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir until ingredients are moistened. DO NOT OVER MIX.

Step 3
Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.

Yield: 15 medium muffins

Recipe from: http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes_detail.php?rid=781

No comments:

Post a Comment