Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Pursuit Of Happiness



I had a great chat with a couple I train last week about happiness, and just what it IS. They remarked that, while there are scales to measure depression, there isn't a true "happiness scale." That happiness is judged by external views, material items, and often we measure another person's happiness by their material wealth.

Happiness defined by the dictionary:

hap·py   /ˈhæpi/ Show Spelled[hap-ee] Show IPA
adjective, hap·pi·er, hap·pi·est.
1. delighted, pleased, or glad, as over a particular thing: to be happy to see a person.
2. characterized by or indicative of pleasure, contentment, or joy: a happy mood; a happy frame of mind.
3. favored by fortune; fortunate or lucky: a happy, fruitful land


I think it is truly defined by the individual. It's the 'particular thing' that is unique to everyone's individual state. It's whatever they call the 'fortune' in their life that enables their ability to feel happiness.

This chat prompted me to do some research and I stumbled upon this blog... http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/happiness-is-the-goal/ which led me to update me facebook status to this.....

At the end of the day, it's not about the fact that you lost X amount of lbs, increased your bench press by THISMUCH weight, or are making a certain amount of money. It's about the feeling of being happy in what you are doing. Happiness is always the goal.

and then I had Jenn weigh in on the subject......

Tyler and I have spent a lot of time discussing this both in the past and tonight and honestly I think the biggest thing people need to learn is to not let greed get in the way of their own happiness.
Too many people want a bigger and better job/car money etc. when happiness is all around us. Happiness is what you make it, and in the documentary it talk a lot about how the most happy people are the ones that are not only active in life but also part of a bigger picture socially.
People living within communities where everyone is looking out and helping everyone else.
Everyones happiness is different but it's within everyone's soul. I think a major part of happiness is self reflection an being thankful for the everyday events and people in our lives that surround us with love and support.
I have tons more views on happiness. I know I'm not the "happiest" person out there, but it is also something that I have personally worked on over the past few years by just being a more honest and caring person by doing more random acts of kindness and helping out where ever I can when I can.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's a topic that I almost find tough to formulate a solid thought about. I would call myself happy when I am training myself and other people, and that it is my 'fortune' I have a job that stems from my passion for fitness, health and competitive. However, if you read my post about the convo I had with myself while I was racing, you probably wouldn't have called my outlook on fitness and competitive a "happy" one.

I'm pleased and overjoyed that I am able to continue on with school and become a Doctor of Chiropractic, and believe that the career waiting for me will provide me a "happy" life.. but if you saw me in my 8th hour of studying for finals, crazed and delirious would be more a more fitting description than one of happiness.

If someone asked me my ideal summer, I would say that is it when I am sitting by the lake at a cottage, listening to the hip and enjoying time with family and friends. Am I more happy in this scene than when I am training? If I was to sit dockside for 7 days in a row, and not fit in a workout, I definitely wouldn't feel happy.

I think back to a post of mine, labeled "Happy, Healthy, Wealthy and Successful."
One might think, that being healthy, wealthy and successful would mean happiness. Yet, I mentioned it as a seperate entity, perhaps meaning that I look for happiness in other things, and am striving for health, wealth and success so that I do not have those stresses to take away from other forms of happiness.

It's funny, I know the feelings I want to achieve and the things I want to do... but I still haven't set a finish line. I want to be a trainer... I want to be a chiropractor... I want to own my own business... I want to work at the olympics... I want to run an ironman. All of these goals... when I achieve them, I will feel happiness. But then I will move on to working towards the next goal so that I can feel it again. The pursuit of happiness never stops. Perhaps this is why there is no measurement on happiness.


I don't think I am even going to take the time to read this post over and see if it makes sense. Being all over the place with my words just goes to show how muddled up the topic is. I'd love to hear your input. Can you rank when you are most happy? Can you think of a single point in time when you were the happiest? How do you recreate that feeling?

I found this topic very thought provoking. Thanks Tyler and Jenn! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment